The academic recognition procedure in NACID includes the following main stages:
- Verification of the academic status of the higher education institution that has issued the diploma and the completed higher education programme. Verification of the academic status of the institution conducting the training in cases where it is different from the higher education institution that issued the diploma.
- Verification of the authenticity of higher education qualifications.
- If any of the earlier verifications had been concluded with a negative result, the procedure will not continue, for which a written notification will be made to the applicant.
- Assessment of the compliance of the data from the presented diploma and diploma supplement with the state requirements for acquiring higher education in the Republic of Bulgaria. This is the actual assessment and recognition, and it is applicable for the diplomas, for which all previous verifications had finished positively.
- Adoption of a decision for recognition of the higher education degree with professional qualification if such is present, for Refusal of recognition or for termination of the procedure.
- Issuance of a legally binding decision: certificate for recognized higher education; decision for refusal; or a termination decision.